We’re proud of our past at Bakers - and rightly so!
Bakers was founded in 1878 by William Baker, a millwright and engineer. Operations were run from Eves Corner, Danbury, which remains the Head Office to this day. William Baker was born into a farming family in 1846 and after leaving school, became an apprentice to a millwright, eventually working for Fell Christy Millwrights of Chelmsford.
William Baker’s company initially carried out repairs to local mills but with the demise of mills, he began to carry out more general repairs, and construction of local properties. The Company soon gained a reputation for quality and honesty based on its founder’s strict religious beliefs. For three generations, the Baker family remained involved in the day-to-day running of the business, before the managers of the Company established ownership.
Today, we’re still known for our expertise on historic and listed properties, and interestingly, many of the methods we use in our conservation and restoration work remain very similar to those of over a century ago.
Over the last 130 years however, the Company has developed into a diverse business and operates in the educational, commercial, healthcare and housing sectors as well as carrying out insurance repairs for many insurance companies. The Company has also retained and expanded its specialist joinery, funeral and monumental/architectural masonry businesses.