Location: Based in Danbury, near Chelmsford, Essex
Job Type: Full time, Permanent
About the Estimator Job
Established over 145 years ago, Bakers of Danbury Ltd are an Essex based, privately owned medium sized principal contractor working across a number of sectors with an excellent reputation for quality and expertise. We work across Essex, Suffolk and into Kent as well as east, north and central London.
The role is based at our head office in Danbury in Essex working within our Church Works department who carry out approximately £3M of work each year to churches, cathedrals, and ancient monuments. We use a sizable direct labour force as well as selected and long-term specialist subcontractors.
You will work within a close-knit team of experienced professionals carrying out the full estimating function on a wide variety of projects under the supervision of the department manager and liaising closely with Clients, Architects and Engineers. You will have an excellent track record of working within the construction industry in a similar role and environment and be well versed in assessing and selecting tender enquiries and opportunities and taking them from acceptance to completed tender using a variety of estimating techniques, including estimating from first principles as well completing BQ’s. You will have a good technical or practical knowledge and background. You will need to possess good problem-solving capabilities along with excellent communication, interpersonal, team working and computer skills and be able to represent the company well at all levels.
Job role and responsibilities:
- Make visits to proposed construction sites or private properties
- Carry out site surveys, meeting the client and discussing their requirements and potential options
- Take off information from drawings and tender documents to calculate the cost of materials, plant, labour and sub-contract packages, in accordance with an agreed programme of works and procurement schedule
- Obtain quotes for all predicted requirements from sub-contractors and suppliers
- Prepare tender for adjudication with directors
- Negotiate with one or more companies, whose bids are competitive to secure the best possible value for money
- Collate detailed price lists of everything needed on each construction project
- Liaise with others including contract managers, the client and design teams
- Complete quality submissions and quotations for work
- Instructing, valuing, and agreeing any changes to established sub-contract orders as the works progress.
- Competitive salary
- Pension contribution
- 22 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Use of pool car or expenses for travel on behalf of the company
- Ample free parking
We are committed to the professional and personal development of all our staff by providing regular opportunities to undertake further training and personal development. All staff are invited to biannual staff social events at summer and Christmas. Bakers of Danbury is a member of the Building Mental Health Charter and provide all staff with access to a mental health first aider.
How to apply
If you would like to register your interest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or apply in writing to: Managing Director, Bakers of Danbury Ltd, Eves Corner, Danbury, Essex CM3 4QB.