Established over 140 years ago, Bakers of Danbury enjoy a reputation for providing high quality craftsmanship. We benefit from having a directly employed team of experienced carpenters, bricklayers, joiners, stonemasons and other tradesmen. The longest serving having worked up through an apprenticeship scheme with Bakers of Danbury has been with us over 35 years.
Our projects include new builds and refurbishment in the educational, commercial, housing and health sectors as well as repair, conservation and restoration of historic listed buildings, churches and ancient monuments. We also have a specialist insurance repairs division that works closely with leading insurance companies, specialist loss adjusters and engineers to repair structural faults in buildings.
We pride ourselves on attention to detail and the quality of the works carried out.
As a principal contractor, we cover every aspect of the project; whether it be a new build or a restoration. Our projects often benefit from our in-house joinery and stone masonry workshops. Our joinery workshop offers a full design and manufacture service of bespoke joinery and furniture, woodcarving and architectural timber work, whilst our stone masons provide specialist stone cleaning and stone carving.
Bakers are widely known for their expertise on historic and listed properties; interestingly many of the methods used in conservation and restoration work remain very similar to those used over a century ago. Recent restoration and alteration projects include works to Westminster Abbey, The Charterhouse in London, Westminster Cathedral and St Pauls Cathedral amongst many other projects.
Our projects have won the following prestigious awards:
- Considerate Contractor Scheme Awards 2023 Gold Award (conservation and restoration works to St Lawrence Jewry, London)
- Diocese of Chelmsford Design Awards 2022 Commended
- Diaphoros Prize at the Georgian Group Architectural Awards 2022 (Westminster School redevelopment and new build extension)
- Considerate Contractor Scheme Awards 2022, Gold Medal (conservation and restoration works to St Lawrence Jewry, London)
- DAC Design Awards Scheme 2022 Highly Commended (redecoration of St Bartholomew Church, Wickham Bishops)
- DAC Design Awards Scheme 2022 Commended (extension to St Mary’s Church in Wivenhoe)
- Greater Cambridge Design and Construction Awards 2022, Commended (conservation of the Former Library, Mill Road Cambridge)
- EASA & National Churches Trust UK Church Architecture Awards 2021, Highly Commended (conservation and repair project on the west façade of St Leonard’s Church in Shoreditch)
- Diocese of Chelmsford, Design Awards 2019 Highly Commended (re-ordering to St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden)
- The King of Prussia Gold Medal 2018, Highly Commended (structural and restoration works to St Peter and St Paul, Upper Stoke)
- Civic Trust 2018 AABC Conservation award (restoration of a redundant church Quay Place, Ipswich)
- Civic Trust 2018 Commendation (conservation and alteration works to the Charterhouse, London)
- RICS National Award 2017 for Building Conservation Highly Commended (restoration of a redundant church Quay Place, Ipswich)
- RICS East of England 2017 award for Building Conservation (restoration of a redundant church Quay Place, Ipswich)
- RIBA National award 2017 (conservation works to St Albans Abbey over past 17 years)
- RIBA East 2017 award for Conservation (conservation works to St Albans Abbey)
- Diocese of Chelmsford, Design Awards 2017 Highly Commended (development and restoration St Catherine’s Church, East Tilbury)
- Diocese of Chelmsford, Design Awards 2017 Commended (construction of a new annexe at Newland, St Lawrence)
Bakers of Danbury specialise in every aspect of works, including stone masonry, brickwork, carpentry, joinery, decorating, tiling, slating, leadwork and other sheet metal roof finishes. Our directly employed workforce includes stonemasons, bricklayers, plasterers, carpenters and joiners and is regularly supplemented with specialist sub-contractors.
As a principle contractor we cover every aspect of restoration, alterations and extensions to period properties and listed buildings. We pride ourselves on attention to detail and the quality of the works carried out; and as a result are often recommended by the Local Authority Conservation Officers and English Heritage for works to heritage properties.
Bakers of Danbury are experienced in carrying out new build and refurbishment works to schools, colleges and other community and public sector buildings. We work closely with both the architects, designers, school and the local authority or academy to ensure the school build project meets the needs for the age and type of student it is built for.